Society of Women Writers General Meeting
March 1st at the Launceston
Present - Ros Sydes; Wendy Laing; Catherine Marshall; Mary Farr; Ruth Williams; Jane Waite; Yvonne Gluyas.
Apologies - Kathy Duff; Janet Berry; Erin Eiffe
as follows -
l 9.30am start with a written exercise
l Homework read - this month’s title was Rivers. Next month’s homework to complete -a Haiku (please google for details on what, how). Any topic can be used.
l Morning tea and raffle. Two draws this month, won by Mary and Catherine. Ruth will bring the next raffle prize.
l General discussion on the following topics -
- Alice Award. Wendy read an email from SWWQ. They were to host
the next Alice Award presentations this year. They have decided to delay this due to covid. They hope to hold an ‘on line’ presentation sometime after June this year.
- Wendy is currently sorting through lots of interesting paperwork to
archive, for 2 things a) the Alice Awards and b) SWWT records. She noted that SWWT began in Tasmania in 1980! Anyone wishing to look through these items are asked to notify Wendy. They are available for loan to members.
was decided that sometime later in the year, we will work towards another SWWT anthology ie. Written works of members for a book publication.
- An email received from Marilyn Barnwell, from Poetry Peddlers, detailed upcoming events was distributed
for members to read. For further info please contact Marilyn on email@example.com
- Yvonne notified us about a coming Tasmanian Poetry Festival. They have organised a concert, details as follows
- ‘The Times They are a Changin’ features local skilled musicians singing songs by Bob Dylan and Joan Baez. To be held at the Workers Club, 66 Elizabeth Street, Launceston on Friday 19th March. Contact Yvonne on 0413321834 for more details
and info re booking.
- Franklin House Annual Fair will go ahead on Sunday 21st March 2021. SWWT will have a stall as usual to promote the Society. We usually hold a big raffle which fills our coffers nicely. However, we do request donated
items to make this a good one! Please donate small articles of non perishable food, wine, books or nick- knacks suitable for a basket. Ring Ros on 418365253 or Mary on 0419594060 to donate and organise delivery.
- Wendy has organised our next
guest speaker for the April meeting. Kristin Lang is a poet, editor and tutor. She is an avid environmentalist and has had a number of books published. Please come along and support our speakers, who like us, have a love of writing and sharing ideas etc.
l A written exercise was completed. People picked a photo and wrote a page about it.
l Meeting closed at 12.00 noon.
NEXT meeting March 12th - as the 5th is Easter.
was prepared by Mary Farr